Friday, July 3, 2009

Thank you all for the kind words over the last week.

I want to thank you all for the lovely e-mails, cards and phone calls. I appreciate all of the support you have shown. A HUGE thanks to Shannon for putting her life on hold to help my family this week. It was so far above and beyond the call of duty that I had to but her a present. I hope she enjoys her portable bug zapper. Hey, I run a weird news blog, why should the presents I buy her be normal?

In all seriousness, it was very touching to see so many people come to the Shiva. I appreciate that Shannon's friends even came. It was really lovely of them.
For those of you not of the Jewish faith, part of the Jewish funerary ritual is that the family and friends of the deceased actually take turns helping to bury the coffin (at least until the wood of the coffin is no longer visible). To see 80-something year old women put down their canes and shovel dirt is a scene words cannot convey properly. In this time of sadness, that was in many ways uplifting. It just shows me how my grandmother touched people’s lives.

My grandmother was one of the biggest fans of this blog, and in her honor, I continue this week. I will hopefully have the eulogy my aunt wrote soon. It was a wonderful eulogy, and it deserves to be posted on my blog for all to see.

No comments: